Tactical Place Based Offense Summary Dashboard

• 14 April 2022
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 3

Hello All,

I have stood up a “place based” dashboard that provides overview crime information for a particular address. The intent is to get a more refined look at crime and players at a location so we can implement a meaningful response to address the crime. While I like it as a starting point, it isn’t as tactically powerful as I desire it to be.

Background here:

We often focus in on locations that have higher amounts of crime than others or have abnormally high crime frequencies recently when compared to the address/place’s history. As expected, high frequency locations are often in locations that are more densely populated (spoiler alert I know!). The change (increase) in crime in one location is more indicative of the emergence of a focused crime trend. Once we have identified an address or addresses (think about all Walmart stores/Ulta stores/hotels/gas stations/etc. in your jurisdiction) of particular concern, we can simply pass the addresses through the dashboard filters to get a summary of temporal crime patterns, people involved, vehicles involved, property involved, etc. This gives us quick access to information regarding what is occurring in these locations (i.e., what offenses are occurring, what is being stolen/damaged, when are crimes occurring, who is involved) so we can have a consistent summary to operationalize interventions. 

I am looking for ways to enhance what we have here from others that may be doing something similar to this (either in Mark43 or not). I will be adding more filters to enable the consumers to drill into very specific issues at the location (i.e., shoplifts at the location, only offenses involving catalytic converter theft, etc.). In other dashboards, I have included information for unidentified suspects to help tie reports together that may be associated with a single unidentified (or identified) suspects. This has been a bit fruitless thus far as our reporting practices for recording unknown person attributes is lack luster outside of the narratives. I am hoping to get more fidelity with our reporting workflows for these unidentified suspects to improve are ability to leverage the data. Once that is accomplished, I will also include those types of analytic tiles here as well. 

Certainly open to others’ thoughts regarding some other pieces that may be useful for our officers/detectives as well. Please let me know what may be missing.

I am in the works of trying to do something similar that is offender based, but need improved data structure with regard to person profiles within the analytics module to be able to pull something like this together. Another dashboard I am developing focuses in on theft offenses to provide summaries of what is being stolen (emerging trends), recovered, where the honey holes are located, etc. I’d love to see anything others have pulled together. I am always open to hearing new ideas and extending my capacity to provide resources to our officers. 

Here are some screen shots of the dashboard:

Filters:

Timeframe and Statute Frequency:

Offense and Report Frequencies each week:

Tabular view of offenses:

Offense Heatmap (helpful when you apply multiple addresses, i.e., all hotels in a jurisdiction)

Tabular view of property involved:

Tabular view of involved vehicles:

Tabular view of involved suspects:

Tabular view of arrests at the location: 

Field Contacts:

Citation Recipients:

Day of Week/Hour of Day (Median offense occurrence time):

This topic has been closed for comments